Sunday, November 29, 2009

The last month and a half of life

So I tend to forget...well...pretty much everything, so here are the highlights (at least the ones I can remember) of the last month and a half. Honestly, you don't have to read it...it's more for my memory.

* Going with Derek to the corn maze at thanksgiving point. A Birthday tradition!!
* Getting a Zune and a bike for my birthday!! And the bike has a basket! And a bell!!
* Going to the Regina Spektor and Jupiter One concert
* Going to the ReAL Salt Lake Celebration
* Derek and I are finally making some friends!! So far we have Jackie and Seth; Jenny and Kevin; Matt and Mel; and I have Jennifer, Lisa, Winnie, Jackie, and my new Visiting Teaching Companion, Keri.
* Heather's Baby Shower
* Going Trick or Treating with Kevin and his wife Jenny and their kids
* Holiday party with Jenny's friends :)
* Planning a Baby Shower for Tayci
* Going to In-and-Out!!
* Michelle coming to town, going out to eat, and then getting stuck in a 5 hour traffic jam
* Our big roommate reunion at Los Hermanos followed by a photo shoot at our old apartment
* Field Trip to This is the Place
* Finally cleaning out my classroom...so nice
* Visited some fine dining... Cafe Med, Frozen Yogurt, Applebees, Benihanas, Fridays,
* Had 4 thanksgiving feasts
* Put up the Christmas tree...after Thanksgiving of course
* Participated in my first ever Black Friday!! 190 dollars worth of fabric for 41 bucks!! GREAT deal.
* Spent time with my husband, hitting the 2 1/2 year mark.

So Derek and I went to the movie Surrogates last night. I really enjoyed the movie, but more than that, it got me thinking about the way our society is currently headed. In the movie, the society had gotten to a point that rather than actually going out in the world, they have surrogates that they control from the comfort of their own homes. And although surrogates are saving people from many diseases and harmful things, it takes away their humanity...never really having real human connection. Never being able to feel the breeze or smell the world around them.

It got me thinking about how quickly technology is evolving our society. It seems like overnight cell phones went from a luxury to a necessity. Computers went from desk top to lap top. Televisions are now all flat panel. Movies went from video to DVD. Every portion of our life is electronic. Heck, even my journal is electronic. People pass over visiting in person for texting on their phone. I can't even count the number of times I've seen someone texting on a date. And technology continues to go further and further and further...it worries me

It worries me what will be in the future. Derek was telling me that Sony is planning on releasing a 3-D tv in 2010...I just don't understand why anyone would want a 3-D television...I feel like technology has already gone too far...but it's a 2 edged sword. If you don't keep up...well, you're lost. Although I wish I could go on a technology ban and keep my children away from computers and cell phones and i pods and television and video games, I couldn't. I would be doing a disservice to them. In this day and age, an understanding of technology is essential to success in both school and business.

I guess my point is, I feel like technology is in some way taking away the basic humanity that we all share. Replacing it with something shallow and non meaningful, which fills us to the point that we don't have room to make those connections with others. That we spend so much time occupying our lives with meaningless communication, that we don't leave room for anything else. I'm worried for our children...I'm worried that we are no longer leaving room for imagination, or creativity, or quiet thought. It reminds me of the book Fahrenheit 451...If you haven't read it, read it. It's ominous how closely it mirrors our current reality

And I'm guilty. I am technology crazed. I wish I wasn't...I wish I could just get away from it all.

So in conclusion, I wish we could go back 50 years. Back to Tupperware parties, and sitting on porches. Back to knowing your neighbors, and back to playing outside. Back to using a slide rule for Math, and back to wearing skirts to school. And back to a time where you don't know every little think about every little person from what "groups" they join to what they are doing every minute of every day. ::sighs::. And now I am off my soap box

No comments: