Thursday, December 3, 2009

I've taught them well

Yesterday, I gave the kids some situations to discuss which would require them to use their rights and act responsibly. One of the situations involved voting, and who should have the right to vote. I sat and listened the conversation went something like this:

Boy: "I definately think kids should be able to vote"
Girl: "I think we aren't smart enough to vote"
Boy: "What? We're totally smart enough to vote"
Girl: "When the elections were going on last year, how many of you thought that Obama was going to take away summer break."
Boy: "Yeah, they also said that he would take away our cars and make us all ride bikes"
Another Boy: "Yeah, people said that he was going to take away all of our money, and make us give everything to the poor, and not let us be Mormon"
Girl: "Yeah. Obama was elected a year ago, and nothing like that happened. Face it guys, we're gullible. We shouldn't be able to vote"

I couldn't have been more proud.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hahaha. That is so funny. I love small kids.

Jessica Stark said...

Which kids were in on that conversation? I could name a few who DID actually think that in 3rd grade...silly kids!