Monday, August 15, 2011

Placenta Previa Concerns...

At our 18 week ultrasound I found out I had low lying placenta previa. For those of you (like me) who have NO idea what that is, it's basically where the placenta is right next to the cervix instead of at the top of the uterus (for me, it's a little less than a centimeter away). I wasn't the least bit worried, because they said in 90 - 95% of pregnancies, it would move up on it's own. Just to be safe they scheduled another ultrasound (number 4 at this point...) for week 28, to check movement. Unfortunately at week 28, it hasn't budged a centimeter. I'll have to wait until week 34 before I get another ultrasound to check for movement.

Stubborn placenta...don't you know you're supposed to be higher up?! It would make your job so much easier! It must be exhausting to work so hard to get oxygen and nutrients to the baby...it's be MUCH easier if you would just move on up to the top of the uterus.

I'm still not too worried, because it has about 9 more weeks to move up on its own; however, if it doesn't move up, that means a likely c-section; and a greater likely-hood of preterm labor. I can't really do anything to help it move up other than wait patiently. I have an appointment with the doctor on Thursday, so he should be able to give me a better idea on the risks, and things I can do to reduce the risks.

Like I said though; I'm not super worried. And although I would rather not have any pregnancy risks, I have to admit, I was excited to see the baby again! She's getting so big!!! And so animated too... I could see her smile, yawn, suck her thumb, and even blow bubbles! She has a tiny button nose and the most beautiful lips you've ever seen. I'm just praying she's healthy :)

Did anyone else have this problem in pregnancy?

3 comments:

Sheri E. said...

I haven't had placenta previa concerns with either pregnancy, but I'll be thinking of you and sending "high placenta" thoughts your way!

Heather Thorup said...

I have heard of this but don't know of anyone who has had it. I hope everything turns out okay for you and the baby. Just relax and enjoy your pregnancy, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Jessica Stark said...

At the beginning of my pregnancy, I had some bleeding and we found out I had placenta previa. But they checked me again at 20 weeks and it had corrected itself. I so hope it corrects itself for you! A c-section would be no fun!