Monday, November 19, 2012

Zoey's trip to Urgent Care

Well, last night, we officially hit a milestone of what I'm sure will be many more (especially considering who her dad is...) Zoey got her first set of stitches. Four of them to be exact. Derek had gotten stitches 10 times by the time he turned 10... so it only makes sense that his daughter would have gotten stitches 1 time at the age of 1.

One of Derek's teammates from school invited us to a nice "pre-thanksgiving" dinner at their home. They didn't have any kids of their own, so the home wasn't especially baby proofed. Zoey was in heaven running around, climbing on couches, trying to dive off chairs, and trying to gnaw on candles and decor rocks.

While we were eating desert, Zoey started to run over towards the bookshelf, tripped over he feet, and smacked her eyebrow on the very corner of the bottom shelf. Derek scooped her up, as I ran over. Blood was spilling out of the cut, and getting all over her sweet face and into her eyes. We grabbed a bunch of paper towels and soaked up the blood.

Luckily, the bleeding stopped after a couple of minutes - so I took a minute to nurse her (sounds silly, but it calms her down like nothing else). Rather than going straight to urgent care, we took her to a nurse friend first (Zoey is still waiting for insurance) to make sure she needed stitches. It took all of 3 seconds for our friend to determine that yes, she did need stitches. Derek tried to convince me to super glue it shut (after all, that's what he and I do when we get cut), but I didn't want to take any chances.

We got to Urgent care around 7, and they took us straight back. On the way back, I realized that Zoey's pants were wet. Major blow out. Once they took us back to a room, I went to change it, only to find it was much more massive than anticipated. It seriously looked like we hadn't changed her diaper in days. I stripped her down, cleaned her up, only to realize we had no clothes in the diaper bag for her to change into. Yeah. We must have looked SO responsible to the nurses...

The nurses swaddled her up, and held her down while the doctor gave her stitches. She was SO mad. I mean, furious. The doctor and nurses were so amazing. I mean, they were really really great. One nurse took out her iphone and let Zoey watch videos of her kids and dogs - it calmed her down instantly. The other nurse had two stickers on a tounge depressor, and flipped them back and forth for Zoey to see. They were so sweet with her, and it made my aching heart a little lighter.

When all was said and done, she had 4 stitches. She calmed down as soon as I was able to hold her -Snuggling right up to my chest. We found a baby coat in the car to put her in, so at least we didn't have to take her home naked, and that night, she slept better than she has in weeks.



So our first minor emergency. I think our family fared pretty well. I just hope we aren't due for another trip anytime soon.


1 comment:

Kristina said...

Poor Zoey! Mia hasn't had to get stitches yet...that sounds so scary! I'm glad to hear she is doing lots better though.