Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sorry folks, but it's a gooshy post....


Derek and I have been together for close to four fantastic years now. I married my best friend. The person who I have the most fun with. The person that was the easiest for me to talk with. The person who made me a better me. He was a person that was easy for me to get along with.

I've always heard from people that "Marriage is hard work" "You don't really know a person until you marry them" "Just wait until the honeymoon is over..." But I've never felt those things with Derek. When we first got married, I was surprised that when we got home from our honeymoon, Derek was the same person to me. There were no surprises where I thought "wow, I didn't know this already". Sure, we disagree from time to time, but we don't really argue about it. We compromise before something becomes a huge issue.

Marriage is work though. If you stop dating each other, marriage becomes routine of monotony.

Okay, so where is this long winded blog going? My New Year's Resolution this year (the one and only) is to become a better wife to my husband. He is AMAZING to me. Truly. AMAZING. He treats me like a girl should be treated. He's the type of guy that makes the bed, and puts my favorite pajamas at the end of the bed with my slippers nearby, so I can change into them when I get home from work (even though he thinks they are silly looking).

My first order of business is to start dating my husband again. Not the "Lets go to the movie and eat" dates, but REALLY start dating my husband again. Doing actual planning for dates that we'll actually remember (because heaven knows planning and remembering aren't my strong points). I want to plan dates that I would have planned in High School.

Second order of business is to leave notes and presents around the house for Derek to find from me. I want him to know that I think about him, even when I go to work :)

Last order of business is to make a point to be more thoughtful. Last night I brought home Derek 1/2 of my cafe rio salad, which he put in the fridge to save for later. A few hours later, without thinking, I saw the salad in the fridge, and I ate about 1/2 of it, leaving his least favorite part. When he went to eat it later that night, he was really sad. I said "It was just a salad...we'll get you a new FULL one...Really, I'm sorry, I honestly just wasn't thinking"He told me he wasn't upset there was no more salad, he was upset that I didn't even think about him. Let me just say that this is definitely a reoccuring theme in our marraige...I seldomly think before I do something. But I want to be better...so my goal is to become more thoughtful.

Marraige is work...but work can be fun

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you two are definitely on the right track!