Monday, January 25, 2010

One of those days

Dear Life,

So things have been plugging along, as usual. School is a perpetual flip flop between elation and...not elation. At least my love for my students is slowly growing. Last week was one of those "Ahhhhhh" (meant to be read in a heavenly angelic voice...) weeks where everything went well, everyone turned in their projects, and everyone did a fantastic job on...well...everything. The students were well behaved, hard working, and had fantastic attitudes about everything! Even my most difficult student lined up right when I asked her to, AND did at least something educational every day. As a teacher, it was one of those "up there" weeks...the one that you can live the whole weekend on. But then comes Monday. The overcast, cloudy, miserable Monday. Okay, so I may be being a little overdramatic. It wasn't a "horrible" day. Honestly, compared to some days I've had, it was down right pleasant. HOWEVER, when you've just had an amazing week; A heavenly week; A week where your class can do no wrong, it's hard for a group of fourth graders to continue to live up to the expectation they set for themselves. It is the "chat chat chat chat chat. What were the directions? Where do I get my paper? What am I supposed to do? chat chat chat chat'eyness that just kills me!

My students are very well behaved for the most part....but "the most part" isn't every part. They are good kids...They are kind to each other...they are supportive to one another. They are intelligent and hard working. They are motivated (for the most part), and they want to succeed. But the chattyness today...oh goodness... you couldn't buy enough duct tape (which for the record, I would never duct tape a student's mouth...just thought I'd make that clear...). And so is the see-saw life of the teacher. Just one of those days I suppose. I'm betting tomorrow will be fantastic

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I hope Tuesday was a great day! I hate days like your Monday. Ugh. :(