The cutest part was a little note attached which simply said To: Mrs. Cami
Love: Izabella
Because Derek moved away
I almost cried I was so touched. I know it's silly, but it made my week.
One of my students made me laugh so hard the other day. As we were walking up from recess one afternoon, I heard one of my students asking the principal if she needed any help. She offered to carry her computer, and then offered to carry her books, but after being turned down, she said "Well, just let me know if you ever need anything from me!" The principal looked flattered and said "That is so sweet of you. Thank you!" and walked away. After she was out of ear shot, my student turned to me and simply said "Sometimes, when I see the principal, I ask her if she needs any help, so that way if I ever get in trouble and end up in her office she'll think 'I like this girl' and let me leave." I about died laughing. The little suck up.
Okay, last funny story from the week. We were doing RAFT writing prompts where I give the students a Role, Audience, Form, and Topic for writing. I came up with 2 different prompts, and I was struggling to come up with a 3rd, so I left it up to the kids. One of the kids said "Why don't we make the role a baby the audience it's binky with the form of a love letter and the topic of 'We're meant to be together'". I agreed, and wrote it on the board. After 10 minutes of writing, I stopped the class and let them know that I would like 5 kids share. The first girl gets up and starts to read her journal entry. It went a little something like this:
"Dear Binky,
I like to suck you so much. You taste so good in my mouth. Whenever you fall out of my mouth, I hope you pop back in. I love you so much....etc etc etc.
Love Baby"
My face turned bright red as I listened to the journal entry. Of course this girl had NO idea what she was saying, and THANKFULLY neither did the rest of the class, but I nearly died. Needless to say we convinently "ran out of time" and didn't have enough time to listen to the other students read their journal entries. And note to self - NEVER again make a journal entry involve anything that can be sucked on.
As it's getting closer to the end of the school year, I am realizing how much I love my class this year. It's a strange feeling because it took a LONG time for the kids to grow on me. At the beginning of the year, I felt like my class was a mess...a complete disaster. Students crying for no particular reason on a daily basis, the school counselor pulling students out of my classroom left and right, a student who consistently wet their pants every day, kids who lied on the floor refusing to do work, and forget about getting my class to do their homework.
It was an uphill battle....but I stuck with it. I set my expecations high, and made my classroom a positive place. I put so many extra hours into this class. I gave some the support they lacked at home, and helped others to realize their acedemic potential. I taught my class to love math, to look forward to writing. I taught them to respect themselves and respect their classmates. I taught them to love school, and to love eachother. I taught them to think for themselves, and to look outside of the box. I taught them that its okay to be different, and that it's never okay to make someone feel inferior. I taught my class that every makes mistakes, and that we can learn from them. I worked with them, and I fought for them, and I served them. And now I love them....After only 9 months....and now I have to send them onto 5th grade. It sucks really. I mean, It took me 9 months to mold them into the perfect class...they work hard, they are respectful, they raise their hands, they love their classmates....and now I just have to give them away. I think I may cry on that last day...
It's bitter sweet I guess. On one hand I'll miss my class, but on the other, I'll get to see Derek again! Three more weeks...
No comments:
Post a Comment