Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My Goal...



Two weeks ago, I was reading a blog that I visit regularly, written by this amazing mother that has all of these amazing ideas. On this particular day, she was writing about her daughter who had been bound and determined to finish the entire Book of Mormon by her 8th birthday. So bound and determined in fact, that she actually did it. You could see the spirit radiating through her, even in a photograph



What I am about to admit is embarrassing. I am 4 weeks away from turning 24 years old, and I have never read the entire Book of Mormon from start to finish. I've read here and there, but never from cover to cover. So here I am, almost 24, with an 8 year old girl putting me to shame. So with that in mind, I made a goal. You see, I am going to finish the Book of Mormon from cover to cover by my 24th birthday... and not only that. I am going through verse by verse, chapter by chapter with the Institute manual so I can start to understand the historical and spiritual context of each chapter. I want to understand and start making connections with what is going on throughout the book. I want to make meaningful connections to my own life. I want to gain understanding, and passion for the Gospel that I feel I have been lacking far too long. I want that fire lit inside of me, and I want the spirit to radiate through me, like it did that little girl


I started 2 weeks ago, and so far I've read to Mosiah chapter 11. If I read 13 pages for the next 28 days, I should be able to finish by my goal date. However, just to make sure, I am trying to read 20 pages a day so I don't get behind. It's been taking me anywhere from 30 minutes - 2 hours depending on how much reading there is in the Institute manual. I know I have a ways to go, but I can do it. If an 8 year old can do it, I can do it.

I'm excited.

4 comments:

Sheri E. said...

That's a great goal. I'm excited to see when you finish. Good Luck!

Linze Kate said...

Confession: Me too... and I'm 24 right now. I am in Helaman right now... and it's my goal to be done before I leave Germany. It's gonna happen and I am BEYOND excited! :)
*muah*

Unknown said...

So, so proud of you! Keep going! <3

Unknown said...

Goooo Linze! I'm going to try to finish before you...The goal is October 19th...so get reading friend.