Went camping this weekend over at Gold Basin Campground. Derek and I spent the weekend playing Uno, making tin foil dinners and smores, reading Chronicles of Narnia (first time!), and seriously relaxing. It was the perfect little break to a stressful school year.
I must say, now that the school year is over, I am beginning to realize how much I love summer camp, and how hard this school year had been for me.
Rather than teaching over the school year, I ran a before and after school care site at a local elementary school (through the YMCA). The job itself had a lot of awesome things about it...great hours, outlet for creativity, fun staff...but unfortunately it wasn't "fulfilling" for me. I would do my best, but I came home at the end of the day exhausted and empty. I know it sounds silly, but I never felt like the kids really connected with me. In fact, the last day of school, most of the kids didn't even say goodbye... I felt like I worked so hard throughout the school year... for nothing but a pay check. It was hard because I didn't feel like I had a big impact on the kids. I was just the lady who ran the day care. And people could say "Oh I'm sure you had an impact!" but when you're gone for a week, and the kids don't even notice...well...that sucks.
That being said, I LOVE summer. I feel fulfilled after a long day's work. I feel like I am making an impact. I feel like the kids enjoy the projects I bring to the table. I feel more myself...silly and happy and positive. I am back to the Cami I was last school year before we moved to Seattle. I feel like the kids actually care when I'm there. It's a good feeling. This week our theme is LOST IN SPACE. I'm super excited, because I've planned a ton of cool stuff for the kids...from making rocket ships to Alien Puppets. The kids are gonna love it. I really am just pumped for the summer...It doesn't hurt that it's gorgeous outside.
1 comment:
That is hard to do a job that you feel unappreciated in! Glad you are having summer fun! You will be a great mum!
Post a Comment